CTR gives technical assistance and training in transportation planning for the TDOT Long Range Planning Division’s Office of Community Transportation in these areas:
- Major thoroughfare planning in Tennessee’s counties
- State-aid programs for locally maintained roads in Tennessee
- Revising urban and urbanized area boundaries
- Evaluating roadway efficiency software to determine the existing and future capacity of any roadway in the state
- Travel demand modeling and forecasting
The Tennessee Travel Demand Model Users’ Group was established in January 2004 as a forum to exchange information about travel demand modeling and forecasting. The goal of the organization is to improve modeling and forecasting capabilities within the state. The members of the organization gather three to four times per year for one day meetings that include an extensive technical program.
The group is a collaborative effort between the universities, TDOT, FHWA, MPOs, consultants, and other interested parties. The modeling group
- promotes standard statewide guidelines and validation standards,
- helps coordinate systematic data collection and processing,
- organizes and promotes staff member training, and
- conducts research on selected areas of interest to the group.
TNMUG supports modeling research and practices that can be undertaken in a comprehensive and coordinated fashion in order to advance the state of modeling application in Tennessee.